Quikrete celebrates 80 solid years
Atlanta company continues to meet the demand for commercial-grade materials in a constantly emerging industry.
An industry pioneer known for its iconic and unmistakable yellow bag of concrete, The Quikrete Companies, turns 80 on May 22.
This milestone celebrates the journey from a fledgling building materials supplier in Columbus, Ohio to the largest manufacturer of pre-blended, packaged concrete and cementitious products in North America.
On its 80th anniversary, The Quikrete Companies – based in Altanta, Ga. – said it is now a comprehensive building solutions powerhouse proudly contributing to the growth and health of the U.S.’s structure and infrastructure every day.
“Following the vision of our founder, Gene Winchester, The Quikrete Companies remains true to its roots as the innovator of pre-blended materials that make building, repair and home improvement projects efficient, consistent and profitable,” said Will Magill, CEO of The Quikrete Companies. “Building on an unmatched network that allows us to provide products anywhere within 24 hours, we’ve diversified and strengthen our portfolio, manufacturing capabilities, quality control, technical expertise and geographic footprint to best serve the marketplace.”
“This approach and a dedicated team of associates has allowed us to live up to being ‘What America’s Made Of’ for 80 years,” Magill added.
Under the leadership of Winchester’s sons Jim, Jack and Dennis, who remain active board members, The Quikrete Companies realized a transformational evolution grounded in developing, producing and delivering high-quality, commercial-grade materials that meet the demands of a constantly emerging industry.
Started on the heels of a prosperous post-World War II economy that drove building across the country, The Quikrete Companies made trademark advancements in every decade.
Here are some company highlights:
- 1940s: The precursor to The Quikrete Companies, Maintenance Products Inc. was founded.
- 1950s: First pre-blended, branded product called Gemaco Quikrete is manufactured and the Quikrete brand is trademarked.
- 1960s: The Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop is introduced while Quikrete Do Do-It-Yourself with Packaged Concrete and Mortar Guide is produced.
- 1970s: Quikrete Quikwall Surface Bonding Cement is introduced and the company opens its 20th plant.
- 1980s: Quikrete Fast-Setting Concrete in the Red Bag is introduced and an ad campaign starring Don Knotts is launched.
- 1990s: Quikrete Commercial Grade FastSet Products introduced and the company opens its 70th plant.
- 2000s: Quikrete introduces its Concrete Resurfacer and the company’s logo is updated to its current version.
- 2010s: The 100th Quikrete plant opens as the company acquires industry-leading companies in adjacent categories.
No comments found