Advertisement
08/31/2021

NPD Stat of the Week: eGarden growth

In the lawn and garden category, online sales outgrew in-store sales in the first half.
Click logo for more information.

STAT: E-commerce is the current source of growth for lawn and garden categories. U.S. online sales grew 9% in the first half of 2021, while in-store sales declined 5% compared to last year. When deciding where to shop for lawn/garden items, price is most important, followed by convenient location, quality of products, having items in stock, and wide selection. Less than half of consumers (44%) research lawn and garden items prior to purchasing, while the other 56% say they just buy the product needed. 

Source: The NPD Group / Checkout & ReceiptPal Survey, June 2021

Analysis: “In-store shopping accounts for 93% of lawn and garden shopping," said NPD Group's Joe Derochowski. "But, during the first half of the year, sales of plants, planters, trees and shrubs grew in-store while bagged goods (mulch, seed, soil), pesticides and weed killers, and concrete pavers/blocks/edgers all drew growth from online shopping. Ultimately, consumers are looking for value – getting the best product for the price. There is a brand- building opportunity for both manufacturers and retailers in the lawn and garden space, to help maximize the potential across channels.”

# # #

The NPD Group is a global information company offering data, industry expertise, and prescriptive analytics. NPD’s Checkout provides receipt-based information on in-store and e-commerce purchases from over 150,000 actively engaged buyers, the largest omnichannel panel focused on general merchandise and foodservice.