Principia Stat of the Week
Top 10 states for residential windows growth based on units shipped.
U.S. residential windows demand was $14.2 billion net manufacturer revenue in 2018 compared to $13.5 billion in 2017—a year-over-year growth rate of 4.9%. Growth in windows increased by more than 962,000 units from 2017 to 2018. The map below shows what percentage of these window units went to the top ten states. Factors most impacting demand in these states include changes to legislation, population growth, and repair and remodeling activity.
- Demand in Florida is specifically driven by impact resistant window legislation which mandates tougher, laminated glass and heavy-duty frames in hurricane zones.
- 21% of national window growth shipped to Florida in 2018.
- Georgia and Texas are driven by impact resistant window legislation and population growth, as Atlanta, Dallas and Austin are among the fastest growing cities in the country.
- Nearly one-fifth of national window growth shipped to Texas in 2018.
- California, North Carolina, and Arizona continue to see substantial population growth, driving new construction.
- Severe weather influences repair and remodeling activity in the Midwest— which is reflected in the top ten states including Minnesota, Indiana, and Pennsylvania.
Principia Consulting is a leading research and consulting firm focused exclusively on the building materials and construction industry. For over 20 years, we have helped our clients grow faster and more profitably by providing high quality information, analytics, and insights.
For more information about windows demand and growth, contact Principia today.
No comments found