HARDWARE STORES

Texas hardware closes after 86 years

BY HBSDEALER Staff

Valley Hardware, an 86-year-old hardware dealer in San Juan, Texas, closed its doors on Dec. 30, according to an article in The Monitor newspaper.

Mike Hempel, who owned Valley Hardware for 17 years, said business has been declining for the past six years, even since street repairs forced the store to close for six months. The opening of a nearby Lowe’ also eroded sales. 

After auctioning off remaining inventory and fixtures, Hempel told the newspaper he hopes to pay off some debts and then find a job in the hardware industry. 

"I was gonna try Lowe’s or someplace like that," he said.

 

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

POLLS

Would you like to see the re-emergence of an association like the AHMA?
HARDWARE STORES

California says goodbye to 100-watt bulb

BY HBSDEALER Staff

California is phasing out its incandescent light bulbs, and the first one to go will be the 100-watt variety, according to an article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

The California Energy Commission said the old-fashioned bulbs wasted about 90 percent of their electricity emitting heat instead of visible light. The agency estimates California consumers will save $35.6 million in unnecessary energy costs in one year.

Consumers can continue to use existing 100-watt bulbs, and retailers can sell their existing inventory. But these older bulbs will have to be replaced with 72-watt incandescent halogen bulbs, 23-watt compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), or Light-emitting diode bulbs (LEDs), which lose far less electricity than traditional incandescents.

Over the next two years, California will also phase out 75, 60 and 40 watt incandescent bulbs.

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

POLLS

Would you like to see the re-emergence of an association like the AHMA?
HARDWARE STORES

Fresno OSH suffers fire damage

BY HBSDEALER Staff

An Orchard Supply Hardware store in Fresno, Calif. suffered fired damage Wednesday morning causing tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage, according to ABC 30 news.

The fire was apparently caused by a cash register, according to the article, resulting in between $50,000 and $75,000 worth of damage.

 

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

POLLS

Would you like to see the re-emergence of an association like the AHMA?