Sears to close Chicago flagship store
Sears is planning a Chicago-style liquidation this month, as it prepares to shutter its flagship store on North State Street in the heart of the Windy City’s Loop.
The Chicago Tribune quoted a Sears spokesman: "The store has lost millions of dollars since opening and we can no longer continue to support the store’s operating losses." The store has operating in the location since 2001.
Liquidation sales are expected to begin Jan. 26, with a closing in April.
Sears Holdings operates more than 2,000 Sears and Kmart locations in the United States.
Meet the NRLA’s new chair, Jonas Kelly
Jonas Kelly, of JAY-K Independent Lumber Co. Inc, is now presiding over the NRLA as its 2014 chairman.
Jonas is the grandson of JAY-K founder Joseph Kelly and has played an active role in the family business since the age of 13, interrupted only by his college years at Hobart College and year-long tenure at Somerville Lumber shortly thereafter.
In addition to his role at JAY-K, Kelly has also chaired Young Leaders United Volunteer Day, is a board member of Christmas in April, a board member (and former president) of Oneida County Habitat for Humanity, a former president of the Central New York Retail Lumber Dealers Association and a current NRLA and CNYRLDA board member.
Kelly helped his father and uncle weather big-box competition in the late 1990s, which came in the form of a new Home Depot and Lowe’s moving into their neighborhood.
"People always ask, "What changes did you make?" he told the NRLA. "The answer is: Instead of home runs, we made a thousand base hits."
Kelly received a Welcome Reception at the 2013 NRLA Annual Meeting in Cooperstown, N.Y. on Oct. 11-12. His brother, Adam Kelly, delivered a slideshow tribute to Jonas.
Kitchen company points to trends
Miramar, Fla.-based kitchen remodeling company Granite Transformations has identified several trends for the upcoming year:
1. Going Green: Homeowners continue to be environmentally conscious by incorporating sustainable elements into their home design.
2. Seeing Red: Homeowners and interior designers alike will be drawn to vibrant colors throughout the home this year. Add a splash of red or hints of other hues with an impressive line of mosaic tile to add flair and character to any room in the house.
3. Let The Sun Shine: Reflective tile backsplashes and light granite countertops will give any kitchen the illusion of more light and space.
4. Back to Earth: Incorporating earth tones into the kitchen for a tranquil and serene sensation will be popular again in 2014.
5. Mixed Metals: Lustrous countertops with metallic influences such as silver fixtures and accents complemented by a mosaic backsplash with 24k gold tiles for a touch of glamour will be on trend for bathrooms.