Sales rise at Jewett-Cameron

Jewett-Cameron, the North Plains, Ore.-based LBM distributor, reported sales for its first quarter of fiscal 2012 of $7.24 million, a 19% rise over sales of $6.08 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2011. Net income for the quarter, which ended Nov. 30, 2011, was $64,033, compared with a net loss of $846,335 in the corresponding period last year. The year-ago results were negatively affected by a one-time litigation reserve of $1,579,125.

On Jan. 17, the company announced a new share re-purchase plan where it can repurchase up to 300,000 common shares representing about 16% of the approximately 1.9 million common shares outstanding. This share repurchase plan may commence on Jan. 23, 2012, and will remain in place until May 18, 2012, but may be limited or terminated at any time without prior notice.

"We are pleased with the almost 19% increase in sales compared with the prior year’s first quarter," said CEO Don Boone, "and believe that extending our share repurchase program at this time is in the best interest of the company and our shareholders."

Housing starts breakdown: Midwest gains

Thursday’s housing reports produced a variety of negative headlines. For instance: "U.S. Home Construction has worst year ever," wrote the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation; and "December ends third poor year for home building," wrote the Chicago Sun-Times.

But the numbers from the New Residential Construction report had fuel for optimists as well. It was the first year in three years that total starts exceeded 600,000. Plus, while the full-year single-family number was the lowest ever (428,600), the December rate was up for the month and well up for the year.

For home channel businesses, the national numbers are far less important than the health of a particular market in which the business operates. Thursday’s report added some regional color to the numbers.

The Midwest was the big gainer of the four U.S. regions — with December total starts up 54.8% from the previous month and up 121.5% from the previous year. Single-family starts in the Midwest also surged — up 31.9% from last month and up 65.5% from December 2010.

The biggest declines appeared in the Northeast, where starts declined 41.2% in December compared with November.

Also compared with November, single-family starts increased 3.4% in the South and remained flat in the West.

Dickies expands safety wear

Work wear manufacturer Dickies has expanded its enhanced visibility (E-Vis) garment offerings from five SKUs to more than 400 unique combinations of safety-focused occupational wear. The new product line allows workers in construction, heavy equipment, landscaping and other industries to customize virtually any Dickies garment by adding E-Vis reflective striping in 18 predetermined locations.

Dickies E-Vis is constructed from 3M Scotchlite Reflective Tape that provides enhanced visibility in daylight, nighttime and low-light conditions. Color combinations consist of silver, orange/silver and lime/silver available in 1-in., 1.5-in., 2-in. and 2.5-in. tape widths. The six 3M tape options can be applied to garments in 18 predetermined locations.

Based in Fort Worth, Texas, Dickies is the signature brand in the portfolio owned by Williamson-Dickie Mfg Co.

L.Jermon says:
Oct-11-2012 01:41 pm

It is very difficult to find
It is very difficult to find all information about Pakistan at one place and I have run exhaustive search but could find appropriate stuff, however this website provides very good information and should be shared with all those looking for Pakistan Encyclopedia.

R.John says:
May-03-2012 09:18 am

bestech ananda project is
bestech ananda project is coming up with their most awaited ultra luxury, Park View grand spa gurgaon 3/4 BHK apartment and penthouse of size 2200-3500 sq.ft. approx sector - 81 Gurgaon. Bestech upcoming project

F.Frgomani87 says:
May-01-2012 05:09 pm

I found this post to be very
I found this post to be very educational. Thank you for broadening my knowledge of this subject. No doubt its a great piece of writing as well. Thanks online CNA classes

L.Jacob says:
Apr-15-2012 05:58 pm

I have been assigned with SEO
I have been assigned with SEO task for our solar panels site http://www.i-solar.co.uk/ and have hired a guest blogger for this purpose. If you would like some free quality content written about Dickies in exchange for a link please get in touch! Your response highly appreciated. Thanks Ollie Solar

Pawan01 says:
Apr-13-2012 12:59 pm

Thank you for such a fantastic blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the look out for such information, and I many Thank to you. used ford

f.fsfs says:
Apr-13-2012 12:20 pm

bankruptcy laws useful and
bankruptcy laws useful and informative article for those who are searching for such contents.Thanks a lot!!

p.patnersheld says:
Apr-05-2012 03:46 am

This topic has always been
This topic has always been one of my favorite subjects to read about. I have found your post to be very rousing and full of good information. I will check your other articles shortly. Planning a Destination Wedding

l.lovehimdsttot says:
Apr-01-2012 04:45 am

Your knowledge of this
Your knowledge of this subject comes through clearly in this article. I love to read this kind of articles, I hope you will update it. Thank you for sharing it with me. click now

l.420 says:
Mar-18-2012 07:36 pm

I am currently looking into a
I am currently looking into a career change and this post helped to see another aspect of the industry. I appreciate your article. Ovulation Calculator Calendar

Q.420 says:
Mar-17-2012 06:59 am

Sometimes it is very hard to
Sometimes it is very hard to find good content on this topic. But your blog is my way to desired information, my problem is solved now. Thanks for posting something worth reading. Human Hair Wigs

Mar-16-2012 04:28 pm

Your approach to this topic
Your approach to this topic is unique and informative. I am writing an article for our school paper and this post has helped me. Thanks. solid pine interior doors

Mar-16-2012 04:15 pm

I am writing a research paper
I am writing a research paper and collecting information on this topic. Your post is one of the better that I have read. Thank you for putting this information into one location. 6061 aluminum tubing

G.Tubbrit says:
Feb-28-2012 07:43 am

This is definitely news as
This is definitely news as safety wear has become something like an antique, with no one bothering to redesign them and everybody wearing the same thing over and over everywhere. acsilver

h.latha says:
Feb-17-2012 09:41 am

Just want to say I definitely
Just want to say I definitely see the content of this I tried to find today. This brief article is directly at the time. Thanks for your time to write and also to see him. This could be one of the best pieces I have had for a long time. Crescent Processing Company