Remodeling index hits five-year high

The National Association of Home Builders’ (NAHB) Remodeling Market Index (RMI) reported a 46.6% jump in activity in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared with the third quarter, marking its highest level in five years.

In the fourth quarter, the RMI component measuring current market conditions rose to 48.4 from 43.0 in the previous quarter. Future indicators of remodeling business were also positive, increasing to 44.8 from 40.4 in the third quarter.

An RMI below 50 indicates that more remodelers reported market activity is lower (compared with the prior quarter) than reported it is higher.

"As more consumers remain in their homes rather than move in this economy, remodelers benefited from a gradual increase in home improvement activity, taking us to a five-year high," said NAHB remodelers chairman Bob Peterson, a remodeler from Ft. Collins, Colo. "2011 ended on a strong note for the remodeling industry."

All four regions of the country benefited from the gains between the third and fourth quarters of 2011. The RMI reported higher market activity in two important categories: major additions at 52.3 (from 45.2) and minor additions at 50.1 (from 45.7).

Two of the indices reported a level over 50: calls for bids at 50.7 (from 45.4) and appointments for proposals at 50.1 (from 43.3), while work committed for the next three months only rose to 31.5 (from 29.9).

"With several key components above 50, the latest RMI provides reason for guarded optimism going forward," said NAHB chief economist David Crowe. "The residential remodeling market has been improving gradually, mirroring the trend in other segments of the housing market. Stringent lending requirements and economic uncertainty continue to be a drag on demand, but we expect a modest growth in remodeling activity to continue throughout 2012."

N.CHARLIE says:
Mar-22-2012 04:19 pm

I have just started my home
I have just started my home remodeling, my wife and I wanted an improvement and since we can't afford to buy a larger house we decided to make the best with what we have. You'd be amazed to see the difference the new bathroom vanities make!

m.crow says:
Feb-09-2012 05:20 pm

Retrofit replacement windows
Retrofit replacement windows are custom manufactured to fit finished openings in sizes down to 1/8" or 1/4" in most cases. Builders-grade windows are constructed in specific sizes depending on the manufacturer. Wood windows also have "Standard Sizes" that determine the installation and application. Custom-sized wood windows are a rarity but are the most expensive of modern window products. Vinyl Replacement Windows | Patio Door

How much credit should be given to the co-op business model for the success of the independent hardware and building supply dealer over the last half century?

GAF unveils new shingles

Roofing manufacturer GAF has announced Timberline American Harvest Lifetime Shingles, featuring a stunning color palette, "inspired by the colors of the American Heartland."

Timberline American Harvest Lifetime Shingles are designed with an optimized construction and an advanced color-application technique that results in an extra-dimensional look for the home. The seven unique colors were created to complement the most popular home exterior color schemes. Custom colors include Golden Harvest, Nantucket Morning, Appalachian Sky, Brandywine Dusk, Saddlewood Ranch, Adobe Sunset and Cedar Falls.

“Property owners are very cognizant of color today, and it plays a big role in what shingle they choose for their home. Often, this decision is driven by their overall exterior color scheme and what shingle color matches their paint, siding or trim,” said Emily Cavanagh, director of shingles and product development at GAF. “The American Harvest blends were designed to incorporate the most popular color palettes used on homes today, to better match the roof to the overall style of the home. Ultimately, this will help homeowners increase their curb appeal and the sophistication of their home.”

S.Rodriguez10 says:
Apr-09-2012 03:27 pm

I have been interested in
I have been interested in this topic for quite some time. I have been researching it for a couple of hours and found your post to be very interesting. Cheers. trading tips

l.420 says:
Mar-18-2012 03:25 pm

I am researching this topic
I am researching this topic for use in a future business I am thinking about starting. Thank you for this information, it has been educational and helpful to me. Expert Witness Computer Evidence

Mar-17-2012 06:10 pm

I have been assigned to do a
I have been assigned to do a report for our school newspaper on this subject, and your post has been beneficial. Can you please add more reference to this topic, thanks. Zumba Classes in NYC

h.latha says:
Feb-17-2012 09:00 am

A very informative article
A very informative article and lots of really honest and forthright comments made ! This certainly got me thinking about this issue, thanks all. Crescent Processing

NCR introduces cloud-based POS system for independent retailers

NCR has announced the introduction of a point-of-sale system that will allow independent retailers to manage transactions, track sales and inventory, process credit cards, and market to customers on both touch-screen terminals and Apple mobile devices.

The system is a cloud-based platform that NCR said would give independent retailers a multichannel "sell anywhere" capability.

"This new solution makes big-box retail technology accessible for all and enables merchants to focus on their business, not on managing technology," said NCR VP specialty retail Christian Nahas. "We are passionate about helping small businesses run and scale their business, connect with customers across channels and sell anywhere. We are actively talking to all types of organizations who sell to small businesses, and the feedback has been overwhelming: They can’t wait to take this product to their customers."

The platform is scheduled to become widely available in early spring.

R.John says:
May-03-2012 08:59 am

Dharuhera property is a
Dharuhera property is a professionally managed organisation specializing in real estate services where integrated services are provided by professionals to its clients seeking increased value by owning, luxury villa in gurgaon, occupying or investing in real estate & commercial plots in gurgaon.

l.linmtemevv says:
Apr-24-2012 01:44 pm

This post has helped me for
This post has helped me for an article which I am writing. Thank you for giving me another point of view on this topic. Now I can easily complete my article. Cheers order checks

j.jonahowoho says:
Apr-20-2012 06:25 pm

This subject has interested
This subject has interested me for quite some time. I have just started researching it on the Internet and found your post to be informative. Thanks recycle mobile phone

y.ypppleson says:
Apr-20-2012 07:47 am

I have been assigned to do a
I have been assigned to do a report for our school newspaper on this subject, and your post has been beneficial. Can you please add more reference to this topic, thanks. bahily

M.Asder says:
Apr-20-2012 04:38 am

Loved to read your blog. I
Loved to read your blog. I would like to suggest you that traffic show most people read blogs on Mondays. So it should encourage blogger to write new write ups over the weekend primarily. FIOS promotion

l.lovehimdsttot says:
Apr-01-2012 04:06 am

I am find information on this
I am find information on this topic as I am working on a business project. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this project. click now

l.420 says:
Mar-18-2012 07:40 pm

There are so many aspects to
There are so many aspects to this, and you have opened up another train of thought for me to examine. Thank you for your insight. Upload videos to share

Q.420 says:
Mar-17-2012 07:02 am

I have been seeking
I have been seeking information on this topic for the past few hours and found your post to be well written and has solid information. Georgia Insurance Plans

Mar-16-2012 04:19 pm

Sometimes it is so hard to
Sometimes it is so hard to find good and useful posts out there when doing research. Now I will send it to my colleagues as well. Thank you for being one of them. Honda OEM parts

h.latha says:
Feb-20-2012 04:32 am

I wanted to thank you for
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Crescent Processing