Orchard plans to close Antioch, Calif., store
According to an article in the Silicon Valley Mercury News, Orchard Supply Hardware will close in Antioch, Calif., before the end of the year.
The closing is a result of the San Jose, Calif.-based company’s "ongoing evaluation of store performances," according to the article. The retailer has been at the location on Buchanan Road since 1987.
Orchard: Back to the future
In late 2009, Orchard completed the renovation of its Santa Rosa, Calif., location. The 48,000-sq.-ft. store is a celebration of the company’s 79-year history.
The hardware retailer created zones within the store that focus on Indoors, Outdoors, and Hardware & Tools. Each of the three sections is emphasized with decor, color blocking, finishes and fixtures. The Indoors area features painted beadboard materials and a marigold coloration; the Outdoors zone has galvanized and corrugated metals, highlighted with a leafy green palette; and Hardware & Tools is characterized by brick red details and raw construction-grade flakeboard.
Working with design firm JGA of Southfield, Mich., Orchard Supply Hardware introduced its brand history into the design:
• A classic truck — like those owned by the original co-op members — serves as a merchandising prop for seasonal displays;
• Graphic details, such as the inch marks of a tape measure, enhance the space;
• Signage helps the customer shop;
• Display fixtures reinforce the company’s working, agricultural and cooperative history; and
• Suspended “stay-mobiles” in various departments, like paint, tools and garden, are made with such materials as recycled paint can lids and garden tools. In addition to the store’s unique design, the company also minded its carbon footprint. It chose eco-friendly products and materials for the remodel.
Orchard opens new store in Silicon Valley
San Jose, Calif.-based Orchard Supply Hardware chain opened a 60,000-sq.-ft. store in a former Mervyns location, according to the Silicon Valley Business Journal.
The official opening was Saturday. The store is a relocation of a previous store located in nearby San Jose. It will feature a new format unveiled two years ago in Santa Rosa, Calif.