Kitchen company points to trends
Miramar, Fla.-based kitchen remodeling company Granite Transformations has identified several trends for the upcoming year:
1. Going Green: Homeowners continue to be environmentally conscious by incorporating sustainable elements into their home design.
2. Seeing Red: Homeowners and interior designers alike will be drawn to vibrant colors throughout the home this year. Add a splash of red or hints of other hues with an impressive line of mosaic tile to add flair and character to any room in the house.
3. Let The Sun Shine: Reflective tile backsplashes and light granite countertops will give any kitchen the illusion of more light and space.
4. Back to Earth: Incorporating earth tones into the kitchen for a tranquil and serene sensation will be popular again in 2014.
5. Mixed Metals: Lustrous countertops with metallic influences such as silver fixtures and accents complemented by a mosaic backsplash with 24k gold tiles for a touch of glamour will be on trend for bathrooms.
Wichita retailer wins golden honor
The scent of freshly baked sugar cookies helped a Wichita, Kan., flooring retailer earn respect from its peers.
Star Flooring, an independently owned shop in Wichita, Kan., took home the Gold Standard Award from the World Floor Covering Association.
The award includes a $5,000 check.
“It is clear to me after reviewing multiple applicants that Star Flooring ‘left no stone unturned’ when it comes to the retail experience,” said Scott Humphrey, CEO of the WFCA. “Not only have they been recognized four years running in their largest daily as the No. 1 flooring retailer in the city, but they have completed a state-of-the-art store renovation with themed room settings, a children’s play space, and custom sample displays to keep everything clean and organized.”
The store pipes in the scent of freshly baked sugar cookies to enhance the appeal of its kitchen showroom area. Also, the store’s sales force is comprised predominantly of certified interior designers.
Allen Clouse, director of retail sales, Star Flooring, stated, “We are honored to receive the Gold Standard award from the WFCA. The foundation of our family-owned business is based on the very principles this award represents. We work hard to continuously improve, and I am proud that the team is being recognized by the WFCA.
United Hardware retailers meet in Minneapolis
Attendees of the United Hardware January Buying Event at the Minneapolis Convention Center saw thousands of products, including an expanded "Gear Up, Get Outdoors."
The front-and-center sporting goods and outdoors-related area "continues to be popular with United Hardware retailers seeking to carve out their niches in their local markets," according to the company.
The Plymouth, Minn.-based co-op, with 1,200 dealers in 18 states and retail identities, including "Hardware Hank," also pointed to the success of the Store of Opportunity area. This area is described as a collection of products discounted by at least 30%, and one of the most popular areas of the show.
"The Store of Opportunity is a big way that we work with retailers to help them invest in their stores and focus on growth," said Steve Draeger, president and CEO of United Hardware.
The event also provided seminars on the new, internal United Hardware website. "We’re very excited about the new website," said Draeger. "Our retailers are very excited about the new features, and we think it’s a big step that will pay dividends in the future."
United Hardware’s June Buying Market is slated for June 13-15, also in Minneapolis.