HIRI gets down to business in Arlington
The Home Improvement Research Institute (HIRI) will return to Arlington, Va., for its annual Spring Conference geared toward professionals seeking home improvement data and ways to use it.
One of the new twists for the upcoming April 18 event at the DoubleTree Hotel Crystal City by Hilton is the inclusion of a presentation from the U.S. Census Bureau on The American FactFinder data tool.
"The conference is a mixture of information and analysis, plus ways to access the data," said Fred Miller, executive director of HIRI. "For instance, the American FactFinder is a program that can answer a lot of questions, and it’s a free program."
The HIRI conference is offering an early-registration discount to members and non-members of the non-profit research group. The discount expires, however, on March 16.
The full lineup of presenters for the 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 event is as follows:
• Approaches to Estimating Market Size, IHS Global Insights;
• The Economic Outlook and Home Improvement Spending, IHS Global Insights;
• Housing and Mortgage Market Outlook, Mortgage Bankers Association;
• The American FactFinder – Access to Census Data, U.S. Census Bureau;
• The 2012 PPTS: Methodology in Evolution, TNS;
• The Pulse of Consumer Plans for Home Improvement, The NPD Group; and
• What Paths do Consumers Take Before Coming to a Decision, The Stephenson Co.
For more information, visit HIRI.org.
Worthington Cylinders issues voluntary recall
Columbus, Ohio-based Worthington Cylinders issued a voluntary recall of its MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP cylinders due to a potential leak occurring when a torch or hose is disconnected from the cylinder.
There have been no reported injuries or accidents related to this issue. For more information about the voluntary recall and instructions on how to dispose of or return cylinders for a refund, visit http://www.MAPCylinderRecall.com.
Products affected were sold at various plumbing/HVAC distributors, home improvement and hardware stores before Jan. 15, 2012 and are yellow or black cylinders, including:
• 14.1 oz MAP-Pro (yellow cylinder)
• 14.1 oz Propylene (black cylinder)
• 16 oz MAPP (yellow cylinder)
• Hand Torch kits containing 14.1 oz MAP-Pro (yellow cylinder)
Products in a blue, red or green cylinder are not affected.
Jacuzzi expands into tankless water heaters
Jacuzzi Group Worldwide, a manufacturer of bath and spa products, announced that it has expanded its product portfolio to include a new collection of energy-efficient tankless water heaters, which will be available exclusively at select Lowe’s stores and Lowes.com.
Powered by natural gas or propane, Jacuzzi tankless units heat water as it is needed. They use up to 30% less energy than a traditional tank-style water heater.
Consumers can receive recommendations on professional installers at Lowe’s stores.