HARDWARE STORES

HCN introduces Hardware Store Connect

Designed for hardware store owners and operators, Hardware Store Connect taps the latest technology to create a powerful and professional networking tool.

The online resource at HardwareStoreConnect.com officially launches April 30 and brings a professional, closed-loop networking tool to hardware store retailers.

Registration is free. And the powerful tool allows registered users to create or join discussions; join groups; network with the community; and share thoughts, problems and solutions.

A feature called “Ask the Experts” allows registered hardware store members to pose questions to a hand-picked panel of industry experts, in fields ranging from management to merchandising.

“We at Home Channel News take very seriously our goal of building high-quality communities of retailers,” said editor Ken Clark. “We are very excited to launch Hardware Store Connect, and we are committed to developing this project to serve the hardware stores and the people who run them.”

A sneak peak video demonstration is available here.

How much credit should be given to the co-op business model for the success of the independent hardware and building supply dealer over the last half century?
HARDWARE STORES

Floyd’s Ace liquidates

Floyd’s Ace Home Center in Pahrump, Nev., about 65 miles outside of Las Vegas, closed its doors on March 30 and will hold an auction of its remaining inventory on April 29. Nick Moore, son of owners Carl and Julie Moore, told Home Channel News that the business succumbed to the housing market meltdown and competitive pressure from a Home Depot that opened in this desert town of 36,000.

Floyd’s carried a full hardware store assortment, a giftware section, building materials, house packages, RV supplies and a J.C. Penney outlet. It had been in operation for more than 30 years.

j.12334 says:
May-21-2012 02:27 pm

I hope the employees of Ace
I hope the employees of Ace find good jobs in the future and I hope the best for the Floyds, the Moores, and the rest of the helpful people associated with them over the near 50-years in Pahrump. deck boards

A.SOcolov says:
May-19-2012 09:12 am

If everyone of you gets a
If everyone of you gets a similar problem the only good thing to do is to get a person specialized in wealth management in order to keep your estates safe. Why to risk it all for some simple mistakes? I read that Aaron DelSignore works in the international wealth management industry, so a person like this one should be helpful.

M.Wallbergg says:
May-16-2012 11:05 am

Nick Moore, son of owners
Nick Moore, son of owners Carl and Julie Moore, told Home Channel News that the business succumbed to the housing market meltdown yacht charter croatia

j.12334 says:
May-14-2012 10:53 am

I hope the employees of Ace
I hope the employees of Ace find good jobs in the future and I hope the best for the Floyds, the Moores, and the rest of the helpful people associated with them over the near 50-years in Pahrump. mobile masseuse

j.12334 says:
May-14-2012 06:27 am

I hope the employees of Ace
I hope the employees of Ace find good jobs in the future and I hope the best for the Floyds, the Moores, and the rest of the helpful people associated with them over the near 50-years in Pahrump.TVCatchup

i.arion says:
May-11-2012 10:39 am

I hope the employees of Ace
I hope the employees of Ace find good jobs in the future and I hope the best for the Floyds, the Moores, and the rest of the helpful people associated with them over the near 50-years in Pahrump. Torrent download

HARDWARE STORES

Orchard Supply swings to a loss in 2011

In the California company’s first full-year fiscal earnings report since separating from Sears, Orchard Supply posted a net loss of $14.5 million, compared to net income of $8.7 million in fiscal year 2010.

The company’s sales in 2011 were $660.5 million, roughly flat from the prior years. Same store sales declined 0.6% — average ticket was up, but transaction volume was down.

CEO Mark Baker pointed to some of the major changes at the San Jose-based retailer: “During fiscal 2011, we initiated a turnaround strategy designed to restore growth and increase Orchard’s market share. As part of our strategy, we enhanced our organizational structure with key additions to the management team, we improved our in-stock inventory levels on core products while reducing overall inventory levels, and we strengthened the service and shopping environment in our stores.”

Net sales in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 were $141.6 million compared to $141.5 million in the same period last year. Comparable store sales increased 2.3% — the second straight quarter of positive comps. Fourth quarter net loss was $7.2 million, compared to a net loss of $3.4 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.

Store improvements are a big part of the company’s 2012 plans. Orchard Supply is refurbishing about 35 stores with exterior signage and paint in Orchard’s new logo. It’s also providing direct access from the parking lot to the nursery and garden centers in about 15 locations.

“At the same time, we’re implementing extensive product line reviews to upgrade our assortment, improve inventory levels and help drive gross margin,” said Baker. “Importantly, we are pleased with the early results of our new, productive store format, which we are rolling out this year. Our plans include the opening of up to three new stores and the remodeling of up to six existing Orchard locations during fiscal 2012.”

Baker added that the first quarter of 2012 has so far been softer than expected in seasonal and outdoor products. Still, the company expects positive comp-store sales in fiscal 2012, he said.

l.ladyinspectorst says:
May-22-2012 07:42 am

I like the way you described
I like the way you described the topic with such clarity. This is something I have been thinking about for a long time and you really captured the essence of the subject. real wealth income generator

b.bakwasgustak says:
May-22-2012 05:55 am

This article is well thought
This article is well thought out and full of good information. Many Thanks for taking time to bring this together into one article. http://www.buygmailaccounts.net/

j.12334 says:
May-19-2012 11:11 am

Thank you all for your efforts you put in this area. very interesting information. I like to express my support of your ideas in your article, and look forward to your next article. WORD to HTML

d.dantatpaltoo says:
May-19-2012 04:06 am

I am find information on this
I am find information on this topic as I am working on a business project. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this project. Mike

b.beb says:
May-16-2012 05:26 am

The starting phases of the
The starting phases of the brand-new Mmog is usually confusing, plus The Secret World is not a not the same as some other. And then we thought we would try and response all these problems you may have using this guide with regard to the secret world guide, considering we presume that this video game, whilst terrific, has many aspect’s to it which are especially not easy to completely understand.

e.folley says:
May-15-2012 08:28 am

That is a great loss. I hope
That is a great loss. I hope they can bounce back this year so that they even improve their already better services. go to hypergh14x website

a.anderiodSd says:
May-15-2012 08:23 am

Part of a class I am taking
Part of a class I am taking involves this particular subject and I am researching for information to use in an upcoming report. Your post is really helpful; do you have any others on this topic? free Android games

r.thecat says:
May-14-2012 10:22 pm

Finally, one of these turkeys
Finally, one of these turkeys above writes in their own language and not in Engrish! HEY, why don't the rest of you write in you own language TOO!!! We can not be understand you what trying to speak word out your mouth, sound like coming from you anus (look it up).

j.12334 says:
May-11-2012 09:24 am

May-10-2012 10:13 am

Excellent post the
Excellent post the information available here is great. I really like your post and i really appreciate that. I wanted to thank you for this excellent purchase facebook likes read.I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site.

m.ali says:
May-09-2012 12:53 pm

Its crisp, scribble material,
Its crisp, scribble material, leather handle, perfectly complements the relaxed shape of this stylish pouch.Lots of women like which usually amount normally include a coach outlet online ,it provides coziness to many girls that don't even think it is a great bushel of great interest directly to them.Cool T-shirt

s.rooking says:
May-07-2012 05:54 pm

Great article to read. I
Great article to read. I really do appreciate this information so much. This was really interesting. buy beats

M.Morgan says:
May-07-2012 11:21 am

Thank you for a good and informative article. I read it with pleasure and will certainly come back to read your future posts. Keep up the good work. Cheers... If you ever need free mass email software, just drop me an email.