Disability Services Board honors HD
Home Depot was one of two companies recognized in Virginia for hiring, retaining and promoting employees with disabilities. The company received the Martha Glennan 2009 Employer of the Year award from the Fairfax Area Disability Services Board.
The Atlanta-based retail giant was recognized for its inclusive personnel polices, as well as for its work promoting universal design — design that creates accessibility for all people, according to the Fairfax County Department of Family Services. The company publishes resources and provides classes on building with universal design principles. Home Depot also works with the county’s Building for All Committee to promote universal design initiatives.
The second company recognized was East Coast Rehab.
Fake identity snares suspected shoplifter
Police arrested a 28-year-old woman in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Dec. 18 and charged her with buying more than $10,700 worth of merchandise from Home Depot, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Costco using false identities, according to an article in The Sun Times.
Amanda Kay Ellison was arrested at a Costco store when she tried to purchase $4,354 worth of merchandise with a check. A clerk, suspicious because she did not resemble the photo on her driver’s license, called the police.
Ellison told the police officer she had recently given birth to twins and gained a lot of weight, the newspaper reported.
In a subsequent search, police found several checkbooks, drivers’ licenses and military IDs in Ellison’s possession, along with receipts for merchandise from various stores. Ellison was charged with 10 counts of financial identity theft.
Door manufacturer gets $1.3 million energy grant
CMI, the Chicago-based door and millwork manufacturer, has been awarded more than $1.3 million through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 to install a back-pressure steam turbine at its door, trim and panel manufacturing facility in Towanda, Pa.
The new system will use existing excess steam to generate up to 1,000 kilowatts of electricity per day. Based on the estimated operating schedule at the mill, CMI expects the new system to produce from 3,556,000 to 8,097,000 kilowatts per year, which will offset a portion of the plant’s current electrical consumption, the company said.
CMI was awarded $1.36 million through a competitive grant that was administered by the Pennsylvania’s Green Energy Works! program, which will reimburse 75% of the project’s cost. CMI will invest the remaining 25%, or about $426,000.
Opened in 1966, the 307-acre Towanda facility is CMI’s largest manufacturing plant, producing CraftMaster interior doors, MiraTEC treated exterior composite trim and Extira treated exterior panels.
CMI also operates door-manufacturing facilities in Christiansburg, Va.; Ozark, Ala.; and Garland, Texas.