CG&P consolidates supply chain management

Central Garden & Pet has announced the promotion of Paul Hibbert to senior VP supply chain. Hibbert will be responsible for all aspects of the company’s consolidated supply chain operations, including manufacturing, warehousing, procurement, inventory management and distribution.  He reports to Gus Halas, president and CEO of Central Operating Companies.

“To better serve our customers and leverage our resources and expertise, we have consolidated our supply chain resources into one organization supporting both our garden and pet operations with Paul at the helm,” said Halas in a prepared announcement. “Paul’s experience and leadership uniquely qualifies him for this role as we focus on delivering a quality customer experience and delivering savings and synergies throughout Central’s supply chain operation."

A supply chain veteran with more than 23 years of experience, Hibbert has been with Central Garden & Pet for two years. He previously held senior level positions with supply chain responsibilities at Spectrum Brands Holdings and Bio-Lab Inc.

To what extent will your office be impacted by March Madness, which tips off this week?

PPG records Q3 income, sales increases

Pittsburgh-based PPG Industries posted third-quarter net income of $311 million, up 18.7% from $262 million in the third quarter of 2010. Net sales for the quarter totaled $3.8 billion, up 8.6% from $3.5 billion in the prior-year period.

“This is the fifth consecutive quarter in which we eclipsed our prior quarterly earnings record,” said Charles Bunch, PPG chairman and CEO. “This consistent improvement in performance, especially in light of today’s economic backdrop, demonstrates the value of our management’s aggressive focus on operations and the continuing benefit of the structural changes that we have made to the company the past few years, including lowering our cost base and expanding in emerging regions. In addition, these results reflect the continuing benefits of our disciplined deployment of our strong cash position.”

According to Bunch, all 13 PPG businesses employed higher pricing this quarter to counter higher input costs. “PPG’s overall volumes were flat year-over-year,” he said. “Demand in most markets in North America was up modestly and fairly consistent with the prior quarter’s growth rate. Continued volume gains in emerging regions such as Asia/Pacific and Latin America offset lower demand in Europe, which was driven principally by the company’s consumer-oriented businesses.”

Looking ahead, Bunch is expecting normal “seasonal fourth-quarter patterns” and said the company will implement additional price increases in a number of businesses.

Continued weakness in home remodeling expected into 2012

Home improvement spending will remain weak through the first half of 2012 thanks to a down economy and housing market, according to the Leading Indicator of Remodeling Activity (LIRA) released by the Remodeling Futures Program at the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. The LIRA pointed to a modest decline in annual homeowner improvement spending over the next several quarters.

“After pulling through the worst of the downturn in home improvement spending, we appear to be entering another period of softening,” says Eric Belsky, managing director of the Joint Center. “The ups and downs in the economy are being reflected in home improvement activity.”

“Absent a more sustained upturn in the broader housing market, particularly in the sales of existing homes, there’s not much to propel growth in home improvement spending,” said Kermit Baker, director of the Remodeling Futures Program at the Joint Center. “Homeowners are continuing to undertake smaller jobs, but are still nervous about larger discretionary projects."

Designed to estimate national homeowner spending on improvements for the current quarter and subsequent three quarters, the LIRA provides a short-term outlook of homeowner remodeling activity and is intended to help identify future turning points in the business cycle of the home improvement industry.

The Remodeling Futures Program, initiated by the Joint Center for Housing Studies in 1995, is a comprehensive study of the factors influencing the growth and changing characteristics of housing renovation and repair activity in the United States. It seeks to produce a better understanding of the home improvement industry and its relationship to the broader residential construction industry.

C.Bravo says:
Apr-26-2012 06:54 am

The concepts of remodeling of
The concepts of remodeling of house should be more reliable for repairing the old and weak structure of the house, we have been looking for remodeling our house and to get a new look of the house, it simply done in every decade to maintain a healthy structured house. plumber camarillo

b.bronx says:
Apr-04-2012 04:19 am

If you hire reliable
If you hire reliable remodeling contractors with a good track record, you will get more value for the money you spend. You can also discuss setting up home security equipment with them during the remodeling process so that you can save time in setting up alarms and save on labor cost too.Water damage Doral FL

b.bronx says:
Apr-03-2012 06:26 am

I am often to blogging and i
I am often to blogging and i actually respect your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and preserve checking for brand spanking new information.water damage Miami

j.jim says:
Mar-15-2012 03:06 pm

If the dress is being made,
If the dress is being made, give the salon a wedding date that is two weeks before the actual wedding. This trick will ensure that the dress will be ready in plenty of time. Thanks.Flood Damage League City TX

b.bronx says:
Mar-09-2012 12:50 pm

Replacement window operation
Replacement window operation may not be identical to the windows that are replaced. For example a typical existing older double hung window sash is capable of being opened nearly to the top of the window. Addition to home Naugatuck CT

j.willis says:
Feb-29-2012 07:37 am

Interesting blog on Home
Interesting blog on Home channel and likes read regular basis. Popular home improvement projects undertaken in the second half of the winter season has been adding a deck, fence, or converting the existing patio into a screened in patio. Custom Home Builder Austin TX

P.Bassi says:
Feb-07-2012 01:59 am

I found your website perfect
I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and got a lot from them. To me, you are doing the great work. mold remediation marketing

P.Bassi says:
Jan-26-2012 07:46 am

Hmm it appears like your site
Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for inexperienced blog writers? I'd really appreciate it. Phoenix painting

B.Bob says:
Jan-25-2012 03:36 am

A very effective blog.Enjoyed
A very effective blog.Enjoyed reading the content.Very good description. Good to see this post and read some of your ideas.Great shared pictures as well. Water damage Vancouver

s.shne says:
Jan-24-2012 09:05 am

This roundtable discussion on
This roundtable discussion on green building valuation covered topics such as the new ANSI underwriting standard for green buildings, green building finance/project development, and how green building valuation both challenges and offers builders' opportunity. water damage Rochester NY

j.steve says:
Jan-18-2012 08:08 am

Finally New Home Buyers can
Finally New Home Buyers can get a 100% Guarantee to get their best building price from Any Builder on Any Design. water damage Baton Rouge LA

p.bassi says:
Jan-12-2012 08:03 am

It’s a good quality summary
It’s a good quality summary that you have written. There are a number of points however which I believe would do better if you went into a little bit more detail than you have done. just my opinion,along with I’m not trying to be critical at all. If you do follow this up then I would be interested. Thanks.Water Damage Yorktown NY

c.steve says:
Jan-10-2012 05:24 am

Home Improvement Contractors,
Home Improvement Contractors, you can find helpful construction estimating software to automate your bidding and planning phases for any construction project. Residential Home improvement and water damage construction companies, if you would like to be discovered by your future potential clients, then find the most appropriate category to add your company to.

a.smith says:
Dec-21-2011 10:48 am

I think the recession made
I think the recession made everybody wiser, that's why people prefer small remodeling projects instead of major ones, so they don't accumulate debt. One room at a time is more financially efficient, I know this because this is what I am doing to my home right now. I started with my bathrooms, and after repainting them the only real change I made was to get new bathroom vanities with sink which were more than enough to change their look.