Atlanta-based Home Depot announced its 2013 Innovation Award honorees, led by Cree for its LED light bulb.
The annual innovation award recognizes “the most revolutionary new products that provide true benefits to consumers and the companies that exceeded expectations in sales, service and program execution,” the company said.
Mohawk Soft Spring Carpet received first runner-up honors for Soft Spring Carpet, and Plantation Patterns Patio won second runner-up honors for its Create Your Own Collection patio furniture.
"The Home Depot's goal is to offer customers the most innovative, ground-breaking products that will help them improve their homes while saving them time and money," said Craig Menear, executive vice president, Merchandising for The Home Depot. "Our merchants consistently work with our manufacturing partners to develop pioneering products that differentiate The Home Depot and attract customers."
Cree’s innovation was explained a game changer – at a retail price point that gives consumers a reason to switch to LED lighting. They go just under $10. And according to the retailer, they save 84 % of the energy and last 25 times longer compared to traditional bulbs.
In addition to the top three award winners, The Home Depot recognized the companies that round out the top 10 product innovations:
• Mohawk for new Soft Spring Carpet;
• Plantation Patterns Patio Create Your Own Collection;
• Behr Deck Over;
• Rustoleum NeverWet;
• Behr Marquee stain blocking paint & primer in one
• Ryobi Li-Ion 18v Hybrid String Trimmer;
• Delta's Smartfit Tank to Bowl Connection Toilet ;
• Cordelia Commercial Electric LED Portfolio;
• Drummen Drop N Bloom Annuals; and
• Milwaukee Double Duty Sawzall Blades