Sparks from a panel saw may have caused approximately $85,000 worth of damage to a Northern California lumberyard, according to an article in the Marin Independent Journal.
Fire trucks were called to San Rafael Lumber and Building Supply at 2:45 a.m. on Feb. 10, the newspaper reported, and found a large amount of construction material on the exterior of the main structure ablaze. The fire had also moved into an office display area attached to the main building.
Investigators believe that an electrical malfunction of a panel saw sent sparks into adjacent wood shaving, sawdust and other combustible material.
Some 35 firefighters were involved in the putting out the blaze. Damage was estimated at $50,000 to structures and $35,000 to inventory and contents. The main building was protected by an overhead fire sprinklers.